Some days you want to eat something special and tasty. Amla is a popular Indian gooseberry that is very good in winter. It is very popular as a winter snack for its nutritional value and is eaten as jams and in other forms, like bars, as well. Not only it is tasty, but it is very high in antioxidants and Vitamin C. It is available in the frozen foods section. Amla Pickle can be done in two ways. One is done spicy and with oil. The other recipe is for Sweet Pickles. Here is a quick recipe of Sweet Amla Pickle.
Recipe Type: V
||Frozen Amla (boil and seed so it will separate into
||Sugar (Substitute: Agave Nectar)
- In a medium sauce pan on low heat, boil the 2 cups of sugar with 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Add saffron strands, cloves, cinnamon sticks and cardamom seeds.
- Once water is boiling, add ambla pieces into syrup.
- Stir with a wooden spatula.
- Turn off stove and let it cool.
- Once cool, pour into a container and refrigerate.
- It stays good for two months.
- I enjoy it with warm Indian tortilla - rotis.
- I am sure you will enjoy the sweet pickle with your meal also.
Serving Size is for 1/2 Serving.
The health benefits of Amla
- Hair care Amla is used in many hair tonics. It enriches hair growth and hair pigmentation. It strengthens roots of hair, maintains color and luster. Eating fresh fruit or applying its paste on hair roots improves hair growth and color. Amla oil is very popular in India as it serves as a very good hair growth booster thereby preventing hair loss.
- Eye care: Taking Gooseberry juice with honey is good for improving eyesight. It improves nearsightedness and cataract. It reduces intraocular tension.
- Diabetes: Gooseberry contains chromium. It has a therapeutic value in diabetics. Indian Gooseberry or Amla stimulate the isolated group of cells that secrete the hormone insulin. Thus it reduces blood sugar in diabetic patient.
- Heart disease: Gooseberry strengthens heart muscles. So heart pumps blood flawless throughout the body.
- Infection: Due t o its antibacterial and astringent attributes the Indian Gooseberry protects against infection. It improves body resistance.
- Diarrhea and dysentery: Due to its strong, cooling and laxative properties Gooseberry is useful for remedies for diarrhea and dysentery. It is a great relief for gastric syndrome and hyperchlorhydria (burning sensation inabdomen).
- Improving appetite: Consuming Gooseberry powder with butter and honey before meal improves appetite. It helps in balancing Nitrogen level and thus increases weight in a healthy way.
- Anti-aging: Amla prevents health related hyperlipidaemia through attenuating oxidative stress in the ageing process.
- The fresh fruit contains more than 80% water, protein, minerals, carbohydrates and fiber. It is also used as remedies for fever, liver disorder, indigestion, anemia, urinary problems, respiratory problems, cerebral, gastro and cardiovascular illness. Gooseberry lowers cholesterol level. It increases red blood cell production and strengthens teeth and nails. So the Indian gooseberry or Amla as a fresh fruit or juice or in dried form is much good for your health.
Let me know what you think by leaving a comment!
I love to hear from my readers!
Join my Newsletter here & receive
"Five 20 Minute VegFusion Recipes Your Family Will Love"