The Final Product: Delicious Pav Bhaji
Pav Bhaji is a famous street food all over Mumbai, India! If you have never had it, it is a mouth watering and tantalizing to your taste buds. The perfect end to a late night party ;) This dish is popular to young adults and kids alike. Each cook has their own variation to their Pav Bhaji reciepe, this one below is my favorite because it easy to cook and tastes amazing!
- Serves: 4
- Prepration time: 30 minutes
- Cooking level: Easy
- Want to make it Vegan? Replace Butter with Oil
- Want to make it Gluten Free? Just use GF Bread
- 3 Medium boiled potatoes boiled and smashed
- 2 meduim chopped onion
- 2 Medium tomatoes crushed
- 1 and 1/2 cup Frozen Peas and Carrots smashed
- 1 Small green chilli
- 1 Small piece of ginger
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of Badshah Pav Bhajji masala
- 1/2 Cup of tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp oil or butter
- Stick of butter softened
- 1 tsp pav bhajii masla
- Chopped cilantro to garnish
- Lemon wedges
Time to Cook! How to prepare:
1. Chop Chop Chop!
In a handy chopper chop the onion, garlic, ginger and green chili. Take it out in a bowl. Set aside. Chop the tomatoes place in a bowl. Set aside.
Boil and smash the peas and carrots. Set aside.
2. In a wok or big pan on medium heat add butter. Add onion, garlic, ginger and chili. Sauté them. Soon onions will be translucent.
3. Add tomatoes and stir fry them till it cooks and changes the color.
4. Now add salt and Pav Bhajii masala and mix it properly.
5. Add boiled peas, carrots and potatoes. You may need to add 1/2 cup of water at this time.
6. Simmer for 3 minutes and add tomato sauce.
7. Simmer for 5-7 minutes and cover on low heat.
Bhajii should not be watery or dry so keep heating until the Pav Bhaji consistency is preferable to you.
8. The "Pav" in Pav Bhaji means bread on a skillet medium heat, add butter, add masla and roast the bread on both sides. Add cilantro for added flavor.
Let me know how your Pav Bhaji turned out in the comments!
Serve with a slice of lime for an extra zest!
Labels: carrots, Gluten Free, onion, Pav-bread, peas, tomato, vegan