Variable 6-8 hrs
1 quart 2% reduced fat free milk or Whole milk
2 tbsp culture means fresh plain yogurt (no sugar or flavor)
Tip: you may borrow culture from your neighbor who has home made yogurt or buy yogurt with live active cultures.
How to make yogurt:
1. Boil the milk in a heavy pan so milk does not stick to bottom or it can be microwave in glass container for 16-17 Minutes
to bring to a boil.
2. Let it cool for 20-30 minutes until it is lukewarm to touch.
3. Mix culture in a lukewarm milk and use hand blender to blend it well.
4. Cover the container and leave it in oven for four to five hours. If temperature is below 70F leave oven lights on. Optimum temperature is a must for good results with yogurt. Do not disturb the milk for 5-6 hours to allow it for setting.
5. After 5-6 hours, check it if it is like jello. If it is not, let it sit for 1-2 hour until it is done.
If refrigerated stays good for four to five days.
Tips: Yogurt can be made from skim or whole milk. Save the clean starter for next batch. if you can scoop yogurt as shown in the picture above it is the best of its kind.
Labels: cultures., How to make yogurt at home, reduced milk