This is a good recipe for when you don't have a lot in the kitchen and don't want to spend too much time cooking and cleaning, but also want something easy and healthy. You do need to have tomatoes and fresh basil, so it works best in Spring & Summer when both of those items are usually stocked one's garden or kitchen.
Cooking Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Difficulty Level: Easy
|4 ||Slices ||French/Sourdough Bread |
|2 || ||Tomatoes |
|2 ||Leaves ||Basil, Fresh |
| || ||Olive Oil |
|1 ||Tsp ||Balsamic Vinegar |
| || ||Salt/Garlic Salt to Taste |
|2 ||TBsp ||Parmesan Reggiano or |
| || ||Peccorino Romano Cheese|
- Take the 4 slices of bread and spray with Olive Oil from a mister or a spray can (available at Trader Joe's) on both sides.
- Then very lightly sprinkle bread with garlic salt on one side.
- Pop all four slices (if they fit) in the toaster for the longest length available on your toaster, you may have to experiment to get the toast to your liking.
- While the bread is toasting, slice your tomatoes. The Campari variety available at Costco are great, or any heirlooms available at most grocery stores if you don't have any from your own tomato plants. If they're smaller, you'll only need a few slices for each slice of bread.
- Then pick some fresh basil leaves and chop lengthwise. You can chop smaller if you like.
- Once the toast is done, arrange on a plate and place your slices of tomato on the bread and then the basil on top.
- You can drizzle a little smokey olive oil on top also.
- You can add salt and pepper if you like, though if you added the garlic salt to the toast in the beginning, you likely won't need more salt, or you can add it now instead.
- Pour a little balsamic into a tiny ramekin, and then use a spoon to lightly sprinkle over the tomatoes and basil.
- Finally, you can add cheese, Parmesan Reggiano or Pecorino Romano, grated with a microplane zester over the top.
- If you're fancy, you can roast and spread garlic cloves on the bread beforehand.
Voila! A fantastic and fresh little sandwich/bruschetta for lunch, snack or even a light dinner. Also great as appetizers.