Mutter Paneer is a very tasty vegetable dish in North India. It takes a little bit of time to prepare but it is worth it. It takes a few steps to prepare this dish. The steps can be done in advance so it is done quickly.
Jain (omit ginger, garlic and onion) & Gluten Free
|2 ||Cups ||Paneer- Indian cottage cheese that can be made at home |
| ||or store-bought. Fried paneer is also available at some |
| ||grocery stores. If it is in a bar, cut the bar into small |
cubes as shown in the picture.
|1 ||Cup ||1 cup frozen thawed peas |
| || ||Salt to taste |
|2 ||TBsp ||Oil |
|3 || ||Medium Tomatoes |
|1/2 ||Cup ||Cashews/Almonds |
|1 ||Tsp ||Ginger Paste |
|1 ||Tsp ||Green Chili Paste |
|1 ||TBsp ||Coriander Seeds |
|1 ||Tsp ||Cumin Seeds |
|1/4 ||Tsp ||Red Chili |
|1/4 ||Tsp ||Turmeric |
|1 || ||Small Chopped Onion |
|2 || ||Garlic Cloves |
|1/2 ||Cup ||Water |
How To Prepare:
- Soak all the spices including cashews/almonds in a half cup of water for about half an hour.
- You can add onion, ginger, garlic and tomatoes (omit if Jain Recipe) to spice and nut mixture.
- Blend mixture in a blender and set aside.
- In a skillet on medium heat, fry the paneer cubes until golden brown.
- Take them out and set aside.
- In the same skillet, fry the spice, nut, onion, garlic and tomato mixture.
- Add peas and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add fried paneer and simmer for 5-10 minutes on medium-low heat.
It is a very good idea to make this recipe a couple of hours ahead so paneer can soak in some gravy until it settles. I like to serve it with rice and warm tortillas.
Nutrition Facts based on original recipe.
Jain version and substitutions will cause values to change.
Labels: cashews, Herbs-spices, Jain, paneer, peas, Tofu, tomatoes, Vegetables subji