Cooking Difficulty Level:
|Khandvi Chickpea Flour Rolls|
Khandvi is a famous traditional Gujarati dish. In India, the state of Gujarat is very famous for its delicacies. This is one of the so called delicacies. It requires practice and speed to roll it. My kids use to call it "carpet" because it is rolled on foil paper or on the flat surface of a thali or dish. It is made from Channa Dal flour which means chick pea flour which is high in protein and very low in the glycemic index.
Difficult (Requires Practice)
Cooking Preparation Time:
Vegan if you substitute Yogurt with 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
Jain if you omit Ginger
|1 ||Cup ||Chickpea Flour or Besan |
| || || |
|3 ||Cups ||Buttermilk |
| ||OR || |
|1 & 1/2 ||Cups ||Yogurt |
| ||Mixed With || |
|1 & 1/2 ||Cup ||Water |
| || || |
|1 ||Tsp ||Green Chili Paste |
|1/4 ||Tsp ||Turmeric |
|1 ||Tsp ||Ginger Paste |
| || ||Salt to taste |
|3 ||TBsp ||Oil |
|1/2 ||Tsp ||Mustard Seeds |
|1/2 ||Tsp ||Cumin Seeds |
|1/2 ||Tsp ||Sesame Seeds |
| ||Cut Lengthwise ||Jalapeno Peppers |
| ||Chopped ||Cilantro |
| ||Grated ||Coconut Flakes (optional) |
Spreading a Thin Layer of Batter
How to Prepare:
- Mix chick pea flour, buttermilk, chili, ginger, salt and turmeric in a heavy sauce pan on medium heat.
- Keep stirring constantly so it does not stick to the bottom for fifteen minutes until the flour is cooked.
- Mixture will start thickening and you will notice that the spoon will stand up on its own if it is done.
- Spread mixture very thinly and quickly on foil so mixture does not get cold.
- Let it cool of for ten minutes.Apply a little oil to your fingers and start rolling into a roll.
- Cut desired length and arrange on platter.
- Garnish: Heat the oil in a butter warmer or small pan.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin and sesame seeds.
- Allow it to pop.
- Add jalapeno pepper and cilantro and pour on khandvi in a platter.
Tips: Note the color of the batter has changed. Jalapeno and cilantro is not shown in picture. It looks and tastes very good! Chick pea flour is available in all Indian grocery store near you. It is a good idea to sift the flour before making into batter so it will not lump.
Nutrition Facts are for original recipe.
Substitutions or Jain or Vegan versions will cause values to change.
Labels: Appetizers -snacks, Jain, vegan