|Photo of Steamed & Tempered Rolls courtesy of iFood.tv|
This is a typical Gujarati dish which is very popular and healthy. It is a Muthia dish (rolls made with a fist-shaped dent) and is a very versatile and quick dish. The best part of it is that I can use any leftover fresh or cooked vegetables and cooked rice that I have in my kitchen. Muthia or rolls can be deep-fried, shallow-fried in a pan, or, for a healthier alternative, steamed.
Cooking Difficulty Level:
Jain without Garlic Paste
Vegan without Yogurt
Gluten-Free substitute Whole Wheat Flour
with Rice Flour
How to Prepare:
|1 ||Package ||Baby Spinach Leaves, chopped, washed & drained |
|3-4 ||TBsp ||Whole Wheat Flour (coarse is okay) |
|2-3 ||TBsp ||Besan or Chickpea Flour |
|2 ||Tsp ||Ginger Paste |
|2 ||Tsp ||Green Chili Paste |
|1 ||Tsp ||Garlic Paste, optional (none for Jain recipe) |
|1 ||Tsp ||Salt |
|1 ||Tsp ||Red Chili Powder |
|1 ||Tsp ||Cumin Powder |
|1 ||Tsp ||Coriander Powder |
|1/4 ||Tsp ||Turmeric |
|1 ||Tsp ||Sugar |
|2 ||TBsp ||Plain Yogurt (1Tsp lemon juice for Vegan) |
|2 ||TBsp ||Oil |
|2 ||TBsp ||Ground Flax Seed|
- Mix flour and all of the spices and oil very well.
- Then fold the Spinach into the flour mixture and make a dough. Add yogurt as needed. Take care that the dough does not get too soft.
- Sometimes if the spinach is too wet, you can add a little flour. Try to make sure that the spinach is properly drained.
- Grease hands and make rolls out of the dough in equal parts of 10-12.
- On medium heat, pour oil into a shallow pan. Fry spinach rolls/muthia for 5-7 minutes.
- Slowly fry rolls, flipping them over as they cook. They will change color.
- Serve with green chutneys and ketchup.
- These rolls can also be steamed in a steamer.
- They can also be tempered with 1-2 teaspoons of hot oil in a pan with sesame seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves and seeded jalapeño peppers, and finally garnished with tempered oil.
Serving Size: 2 Rolls
Labels: Appetizers -snacks