Spinach has the goodness of fresh vegetables and is one of my favorites. Baby spinach leaves are easy to cook to make a quick and simple dish that is ready in minutes. A variety of spinach dishes can be served with Indian breads and rice dishes.
The easiest way to make this dish is using a kadai. Kadai is the Indian name for a flat open iron skillet. Kadai is used very frequently in Indian cooking just as the Chinese use their wok. It is commonly believed that the iron in the skillet enhances the nutritional value of spinach.
Cooking Difficulty Level:
Cooking Preparation Time:
|1 ||Package ||Baby Spinach, washed, chopped & drained |
|1 ||Medium ||Onion, cut & chopped |
| || ||Salt to taste |
|2 ||TBsp ||Olive Oil |
|2 ||TBsp ||Tomato Paste |
|1/4 ||Tsp ||Chili Powder |
|1/4 ||Tsp ||Turmeric |
|2 ||Tsp ||Coriander & Cumin Powder |
| ||Pinch ||Baking Powder |
How to Prepare:
- In a wok or a pan add oil on medium heat. Add crushed garlic and onions and fry them until they are soft and tender.
- Add spinach and spices, baking powder and salt. Sauté spinach for 3-4 minutes. Spinach will be tender and change color as it releases water.
- Add tomato paste and mix well for 2-3 minutes.
- Heavy cream can be added for a very rich taste.
- For another variation, peas can be added.
- If it is too watery, 1-2 tsp of plain flour can be added to soak up the extra water.
Labels: Vegetables subji