Fresh Butternut Squash Soup
I strongly believe in using fresh and seasonal produce. Butternut squash is in season right now at tastes amazingly fresh. This is an easy and fun recipe.
- Serves: Four
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- cooking level is very easy
- Vegan and Gluten free
- 1 Butternut Squash Peeled, Seeded, Chopped
- 1 Tart Green Apple, Chopped
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Celery Rib Chopped
- 1 Carrot Chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Chopped Serrano Pepper
- 1 Small Piece of Ginger, Chopped
- 4 Cups of Water or Vegetable Broth
- Few Thyme leaves
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Pumpkin Seeds to Garnish
1. On a medium high heat in a sauce pan add two tbsp of olive oil. Saute onion, celery, carrots for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add butternut squash, apple chunks and saute for few minutes.
3. Add four cups of water or vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
4. Add salt, ginger and pepper. Let it simmer for 20 minutes.
Puree the mixture
5. Using a hand blender, puree the mixture to a smooth consistency. Be careful, it will be hot!
6. Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds. Thyme leaves and/or my favorite sprinkle with nutmeg. (Candid walnuts is another great option if you don't have pumpkin seeds)
Butternut squash soup with roasted pumpkin seeds
Bonus Tip: For busy folks, buy pre-cut butternut squash at your local grocery store.
Labels: Apple, Butternut Squash, Gluten Free, Nutmeg, Soups, vegan, yhyme