There are a few potato recipes in this blog. People often ask me about the fat and starch content of potatoes. Most of the time it is widely misunderstood. Potatoes are one of the most common comfort foods like bread and pasta and they have all of the nutrients found in the vegetable food group.
Potatoes originated in Peru 4000 years ago. They are very economical, so they are found in every household.
- Potatoes are loaded with nutrients, especially the skin which has no fat, cholesterol or salt.
- A medium potato has 110 calories.
- With the skin, potatoes have more fiber.
- Sweet potatoes have more Vitamin A than white potatoes, but both are packed with high potassium.
- Be careful of toppings with baked potatoes. Salsa is one of the best options and low fat cheese is perfect.
- A potato provides potassium, fiber, Vitamin B6, iron and a half day's supply of Vitamin C.
- Mashed potatoes are a yummy treat.
Oven Roasted Potatoes
|1 ||lb. ||Red or White Potatoes, washed & scrubbed |
|1/2 ||Cup ||Olive Oil |
|1 ||TBsp ||Thyme |
| || ||Salt |
| || ||Pepper |
| || ||Red Pepper |
| || ||Basil (optional) |
| || ||Lemon Juice (optional |
How to Prepare:
- Cut potatoes into wedges.
- Coat wedges with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the seasoning of your choice.
- Place wedges in baking dish spread out separately and evenly.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and let it bake for 10 minutes for crispness.
- Check with a fork to make sure they are cooked.
- Garnish with salsa.
- If desired, sprinkle with cheese and bake it for another ten minutes or till it is crisp.
- Sour cream or yogurt can also be used as toppings.
Sweet potatoes can also be used. They will taste yummy and are good for you so the recipe is guiltless!
Labels: Vegetables subji