Winter is here and it has started snowing already which reminds me of healthy, hearty and warm lentil soup. Lentils are low on the glycemic index which means they cause the sugar level in the blood to stay the same. Because lentils have a tendency to keep blood sugar levels steady, they are popular among protein lovers. Lentils are full of anti-oxidants, simple carbohydrates and are rich in fiber. Let me know if you like this recipe as it is here or if you would suggest any changes.
Vegan, Gluten Free
|1 ||Cup ||Lentil Beans |
|5 ||Cups ||Water |
|1 ||Tsp ||Salt |
|2 ||Tbsp ||Oil |
|1 ||Tsp ||Ginger & Green Chili Paste |
|2 ||Tbsp ||Coriander & Cumin Powder |
|1 ||Tsp ||Red Chili Powder |
|1 ||Cup ||Chopped Onion |
|1 ||Can ||Cut Tomatoes |
| ||Garnish ||Sour Cream |
| ||Garnish ||Chives|
- Soak lentils for 2 hours.
- In a pan, cook lentils for a good 20 minutes, maybe more if they were not soaked and they may need more water. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a separate pan on medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add ginger, chili, salt and spices. Add the tomatoes also.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes until the water is thickened.
- Garnish with cilantro, chives and sour cream on top.
- This a healthy treat for your family.
- It is tasty and everyone loves this soup in my cooking class.
- It is good with roti, Naan, bread and tastes great with plain rice also.
Labels: Dal-Legumes-lentils Gluten free