This is to our health! Today in the supermarket there are so many different varieties of snacks that one will definitely get confused. I am more interested in our young people who are on their own and often get lost in what is a healthy or unhealthy snack. I ran across an article in National Geographic that had the following cheat sheet. This rating was developed by Yale University. The Overall Nutritional Quality Index is based on nutrients, vitamins, sugar and salt as well as the impact on blood pressure and other health concerns. I hope this guideline will make it very easy to snack on healthy snacks. I know my readers will definitely enjoy this!
|Broccoli ||100 ||Apple Chips ||24 |
|Blueberries ||100 ||Bagel ||23 |
|Orange ||100 ||Canned Tomato Soup ||23 |
|Green Beans ||100 ||Reduced Fat Sour Cream ||22 |
|Pineapple ||99 ||Instant Chocolate Pudding ||20 |
|Radish ||99 ||Swiss Cheese ||17 |
|Squash ||98 ||Bacon ||13 |
|Apple ||96 ||Dark Chocolate ||10 |
|Cabbage ||96 ||Hot Dog ||5 |
|Tomato ||96 ||Milk Chocolate ||3 |
|Clementine ||94 ||Saltine Crackers ||2 |
|Watermelon ||94 ||Milk 1% ||81 |
|Mango ||93 ||Couscous ||72 |
|Nonfat Milk ||91 ||Oatmeal ||61 |
|Fresh Eggs ||91 ||White Rice ||60 |
|Grapes ||91 ||Milk 2% ||55 |
|Banana ||91 ||Whole Milk ||52 |
|Avocado ||89 ||Canned Peas ||49 |
|Oatmeal ||88 ||NY Strip Steak ||44 |
|Blackberries ||83 ||Orange Juice ||39 |
|Salmon ||82 ||Canned Peaches ||37 |
|Almonds ||82 ||Dried Apples ||34 |
|Pecans ||82 ||White Bread ||32 |
|Brown Rice ||82 ||Hamburger ||25 |
|Snapper ||82 ||Green Olives ||24 |
|Shrimp ||75 ||Peanut Butter ||23 |
|Pistachios ||70 ||Sherbert ||23 |
|Canned Pineapple ||60 ||Roasted Salted Peanuts ||21 |
|Club Soda ||56 ||Fried Egg ||18 |
|Canned Kidney Beans ||53 ||Diet Soda ||15 |
|Pasta ||50 ||Pretzel Sticks ||11 |
|Prunes ||45 ||Salami ||7 |
|Vanilla Yogurt ||43 ||Cheese Puffs ||4 |
|Chicken ||39 ||Apple Pie ||2 |
|Lobster ||36 ||Popsicle ||1 |
|Tomato Juice ||32 ||Soda ||1 |
|Raisins ||26 || || |
I found few handy snacks that are a "must" to buy:
- Blue Diamond Natural Almonds, Oven-Roasted, No Salt: High in omega 3 fatty acids.
- Sun Sweet California Prunes, Individually Wrapped: Easy to take along. Good fiber and fruit count, they are surprisingly good.
- I keep mix of dried cranberries, almonds, cashews, raisins, roasted soy beans and walnuts. This makes an instant handy snack in a Ziploc bag that travels well and is easy to carry.
- I buy blueberries and then wash and drain them in their plastic container. They're easy to put in cereals or to munch on as a snack.
- I buy fresh bananas and different kind of berries, apples, and grapes. Then I wash, cut and mix them together, sprinkle on chat masala and WOW! Instant fresh food. Impress your date without much effort.
- Left over fresh fruit that's about to go bad: Wash, cut and freeze them. Make a smoothie by adding milk and blending. Bingo.
- I've found that yogurt is a great snack with high protein values. Greek yogurt has double the protein. It is available without gelatin also.
- A Pear provides one full day's source of fiber which keeps your digestive system healthy.
- An apple a day keeps doctor away.
- Carrot and celery sticks with peanut butter is another popular snack.
Labels: Appetizers -snacks